Close this search box.

Races Update April

Ox, Moreton and SWOF Races update as per 13th April 2020

The update you’ve all been waiting for and not one we’d expect to have written when we were being positive this would be short lived and over by April!

We have been closely following Government, England Athletics and Trail Running Assoc. guidelines throughout this pandemic and in the recent weeks it’s become apparent outdoor events and gatherings will not be able to take place for the for the foreseeable future.

It’s with a heavy heart we have made the inevitable decision to cancel our next event the Ox races in May. We wish there wasn’t a need and that we could see light at the end of the tunnel to continue planning them, however, now is a time to act responsibly and follow guidance set out by Government and UKA our governing body.

Unfortunately there is no other date in 2020 that the Estate can accommodate the event on. We will defer everyone’s places automatically to the events in 2021 scheduled to take place on: Ox Races 7-9th May

If you have already booked camping this will automatically be deferred to the 2021 date or if you wish to use it for another date in 2020 please email us.

Now the good news, we hope, The Weekend at the Races event…that’s the Unicorn One… we are lucky enough to have a great landowner in Richard Frampton, now Richard has said we can move the races to:
Friday 31st July Summer Sessions
Saturday 1st Aug Unicorn Frolic & Kids Race
Sunday 2nd Aug Moreton 10m and Marathon 

The pop-up Frolicking Gin Bar will return like last year and we hope to have a band for a barn dance on Saturday night.
Again we will defer everyone’s entries automatically to the new date.

We would ask that if you wish to defer your place to another 2020 event instead, you wait to email us with your request until we are out of the other side of Covid19 to make sure events are going to be taking place. This will help minimise administration of moving your entries between events unnecessarily.

Giants Head Marathon and Sydling Hill race. We are in close contact with the village team, their wishes are paramount. As you know we all become villagers for the weekend and if we have to cancel the 2020 event to help stop the spread of the virus, so be it. As of today we are still a few weeks away from Giants Head weekend so will be making the decision by the first week in May.

If you are one of the 1.5 million most at risk written to by the Government this week to inform you to stay housebound for the next 12 weeks and therefore will not be able to train for GHM/Sydling Hill Race please get in touch so we can defer your entry until 2021.


Unfortunately The National Trust have given an important update to say that due to the evolving situation with the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic and updated government advice about working arrangements, it has unfortunately become necessary to cancel the 2020 South West Outdoor Festival.  If you have purchased a day ticket or camping ticket directly from them to this event you will receive a refund. We will defer your place to another event instead that has places available in it. No rush to decided, when your ready just email us on [email protected] with your request.

We have launched our biggest Virtual race to date, with your chance to achieve some of our fabulous old medals and help support the work of Bournemouth Foodbank during these difficult times

Remember the Facebook Group is there to support you through these strange times too and Rundeep Magazine has lots of articles for you to delve into with your extra time on your hands

Obviously if we have to continue cancelling other events in the future we will do our best to do it in a timely manner and give you as much notice as possible but sincerely hope that this won’t be the case.

Stay Safe and Keep Running Rural


Share this content

WSR Direct to your inbox